Posted: Thursday October 12, 2023
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $29.88 - $38.18/hour (Under Review)
Plus a comprehensive benefit package and OMERS pension plan.
Applications are invited for this full-time opportunity in the C.U.P.E. Local 115 (Inside) bargaining unit and part of the Building & By-Law Services Division within the City’s Economic & Development Services Department. Reporting to the Chief Building Official the Inspection Officer will be responsible for the application, interpretation, and enforcement of the Ontario Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code, and various property related by-laws such as Property Standards, Vital Services, Swimming Pools, Noise and Signs.
- Answers inquiries, investigates and responds to complaints and undertakes duties as assigned or as necessary to carry out work in an efficient and effective manner.
- Frequent interaction with other municipal personnel, departments, and sections.
- Advise architects, engineers, designers, contractors, and owners for them to understand the nature of any non-conformities and to rectify contravention and omissions in an expeditious manner.
- Initiate enforcement of Ontario Building Code and various property related by-laws and commencement of action for noncompliance.
- Schedule and carry out site inspections to determine compliance with Building Permits, reviewed drawings, the Ontario Building Code and other applicable law.
- Utilize a computer tracking system (Cloudpermit) to document and track inspection requests, site visits and inspections.
- Post-secondary diploma in (Architectural Technology, Building Technology, Engineering, Licensed Trade ex. Electrician, Plumbing, etc.) or a suitable combination of education and practical work experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in construction or a similar, related position.
- Registered with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, and qualified in the following categories as defined under the Ontario Building Code, Division C – Part 3: General/Legal Process or Powers and Duties of Chief Building Officials, House, Plumbing House, HVAC House.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are also qualified in the following categories: Small Buildings, On-site sewage systems, large buildings, complex buildings, building structural, and building services.
- Eligibility for and willingness to obtain and maintain certification with the Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA) as a Certified Building Code Official (CBCO) Experience in building inspections and interpretation of drawings for Building Code compliance.
- Good understanding and knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and applicable Federal and Provincial laws as they relate to the use of and occupancy of buildings and land.
- Good understanding of construction techniques and the ability to read and interpret plans and blueprints.
- Communication, interpersonal and customer service skills to address requests, complaints and the ability to handle difficult situations.
- Demonstrated computer literacy skills including data entry, database searches, and Microsoft Office 365 programs. Familiarity with Bluebeam, Cloudpermit and GIS software is an asset.
- A valid “G” class driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract.
- This position involves site inspections and candidates must be physically able to perform the essential duties in a regularly physically demanding work environment.
- As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit medical documentation of physical ability to perform the duties of position, along with a satisfactory criminal record check as approved by the City of Brockville.
- Must adhere to the prescribed code of conduct for inspectors.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Full Time 40/35 (35-hour work week from the first Monday of November up to and including the last Friday of March) in a normal office setting, Monday to Friday.
The personal information submitted is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act and is protected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only. The municipality is an equal opportunity employer following the rules and regulations set out by the Human Rights Code and the Integrated Accessibility Standard Regulation.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit your cover letter and resume marked “Inspection Officer”. Applications may be submitted online below or by email to: email@example.com
The City of Brockville wishes to thank all applicants and advises that only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.