Posted: Thursday October 12, 2023
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $67,922 to $81,099
Based on 35-hour work week. Plus, a comprehensive benefit package and OMERS pension plan.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Planning Services, the Planner is responsible for performing a full range of professional land use planning functions, including the preparation of reports on planning policy and development proposals and the management of planning/development applications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination and administration of applications for planning approvals, such as but not limited to, Official Plan amendments, Zoning By-Law amendments, Consents, Minor Variances, Certifications of Zoning Compliance, and Site Plan Control Approvals, Subdivisions and Condominiums Agreements.
- Consult with City Council, City Staff, the public and development community on matters related to land use and development, and the provision of advice respecting the City’s planning documents, as well as on prevailing legislation, such as the Planning Act.
- Consult with and coordinate information to other City divisions and departments and external agencies as required for the appropriate processing of development and planning applications.
- Prepare recommendation reports, by-laws, agreements, or other documentation for review and approval.
- Coordinate approvals and prepare technical reports for plans of subdivision and condominium and ensure effective implementation of all conditions of approval.
- Research, prepare reports, comments, letters, and other correspondence.
- Handle day to day enquiries from the public, developers, real estate professionals, etc. respecting land use controls, including preparation of written confirmation of zoning compliance and planning information.
- Interpretation, administration, and enforcement of the Zoning By-Law, including the initiation of legal action and court appearances, if necessary.
- Administration of the Official Plan for the City of Brockville, including policy development, interpretation, amendment preparation and related analyses needed.
- Review and advise on various programs and legislation to implement the Official Plan and Zoning By-law or other land use related programs or projects including Federal and Provincial programs and legislation.
- Assist in the development of planning policies and strategies, such as development changes, Official Plan reviews, Zoning By-law reviews, etc.
- Administration of development programs and incentives, such as Community Improvement Plans.
- Research and review complex planning issues; recommend changes to established policy and new emerging policy/legislation.
- Conduct tours and inspections of the City to view developing and developable sites.
- Attend and make presentations to the Committee of Adjustment, Committees, Council and/or public meetings as required.
- Attend the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT), as a professional witness in support of City planning decisions and other tribunals on matters related to land use planning as required.
Note: above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
Essential (Minimum) Qualifications:
- University degree in Planning or related discipline.
- Three (3) years’ experience in delivering professional planning services in municipal planning or a related field.
- Membership in or eligible for full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) and the Ontario Professional Planning Institute (OPPI) as a Registered Professional Planner (RPP).
- Valid Class G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle for work-related travel.
- A thorough understanding of the Planning Act, Municipal Act, Heritage Act, Provincial Policy Statements and other related municipal, provincial and federal legislation.
- Advanced computer proficiency including thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and GIS software.
- Understanding and appreciative of ethical issues related to public planning.
- Experience in development review and processing applications, such as plans of subdivision and condominium, site plans, consents, rezoning and minor variances and other planning related proposals.
- Ability to prepare accurate and detailed reports with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong political acumen, tactfulness, and diplomatic conduct, including the ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with staff and external agencies/authorities.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills by systematically obtaining and assessing relevant information, utilizing reflective reasoning, and taking action in decision making, with a realistic understanding of the issues and the impact of decision on the department/City.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to communicate information to a diverse audience base.
- Demonstrated professional work ethic and behaviours in interaction with internal and external contacts and the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely with ease and confidence while representing the department in a professional, consistent, and positive manner.
- Collaborative and consultative in approach to planning and a commitment to customer/client service excellence including the ability to adapt to develop client relationships with all levels of the organization as well as external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and timelines with strong organizational skills and the capacity to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, responding with flexibility to changing priorities.
Asset (preferred) Qualifications
- Experience providing planning expertise to Council and Committees
- Experience providing evidence at the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal
The personal information submitted is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act and is protected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only. The municipality is an equal opportunity employer following the rules and regulations set out by the Human Rights Code and the Integrated Accessibility Standard Regulation. For applicants with a disability, accommodations are available upon request in the recruitment process should you be selected to participate.
Interested and qualified applicants must submit a resume and cover letter. Applications may be submitted online below or by emailing email@example.com.
The City of Brockville wishes to thank all applicants and advises that only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.