Permits and Licences

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

Applications can be obtained from the building & by-law services division, or from the building official in your municipality. Along with an application, you will be required to submit sketches, building drawings, plans and other documents to the municipality for processing. You may have to pay an application fee and additional charges for such services as water connections and surveys.

You can view, fill out and print an application by selecting the following link:

City of Brockville Building Permit Application

Homeowners may fear that applying for a building permit will cause unnecessary and costly changes to their plans, and that the process will create long delays. In reality, most applications are processed quite quickly. In applying for a permit, access to the municipal building official’s advice and years of experience is available.

For interior work, a floor plan and a cross-section drawing will usually be required. For work affecting the exterior, you’ll be asked to supply a floor plan, a cross-section, a site plan and elevations. These should be made to scale, showing all dimensions.

For buildings over three stories or more than 600m2, an architect or engineer will be needed to design your building and prepare drawings and plans.

To check the exact requirements of the permit application, contact your local building official.

For further information, please contact:

Building & By-Law Services Division
(613) 342-8772  Ext. 4425
By Email

Back to Permits and Licences