Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process to amend the Zoning By-law?


If you propose using or developing your property in a way that does not comply with the existing by-law, you may have to apply for a zoning change.  A rezoning or zoning amendment can be considered only if your new use is allowed by the City’s official plan.

Before you apply for a rezoning (Application for Zoning By-law Amendment), you should discuss your proposal with the planning staff.  They can offer preliminary advice and information on how to proceed with a formal application.

The process for dealing with zoning amendments is the same as for a zoning by-law.  It may also involve review by committees or municipal staff, as well as public meetings and negotiations.  If local council refuses your zoning application, you may appeal to the O.M.B. 

Please follow the link below to access City of Brockville Zoning By-law 050-2014, detailed information with respect to Zoning By-laws, and an Application for Amendment to Zoning By-law 050-2014: 

Zoning By-law Information

If you require further assistance, or wish to discuss the information provided hereto, please contact:

Jon Faurschou, MCIP, RPP, Interim Chief Planning Officer, at (613) 342-8772, email:; or

Andrew McGinnis, MCIP, RPP, Dipl.M.M. at (613) 342-8772, email: