The City of Brockville Wastewater Systems Division
Facts about water
- 65 percent of the water used in your home is used in the bathroom.
- 15 percent of water used is used in the kitchen
- 12 percent of the water is used for laundry and cleaning
- the average toilet uses 20 to 25 litres per flush (low flush units are available and use around 6 litres per flush)
- a dishwasher uses approximately 60 litres per load
- an average automatic clotheswasher uses 140 litres per load
- in one year a leak of just one drop per second wastes approximately 10,000 litres - enough water to have 210 five-minute showers
- a running bathroom faucet uses 10 to 20 litres per minute
- almost 80 percent of the earth's surface is covered in water, but only 1 percent is fresh water available for consumption.
- there are 4.54 litres per Imperial gallon
Back to Wastewater Systems