Insurance Claims

How to File a Claim

If you have suffered a loss for which you believe the City of Brockville may be responsible, you must follow the process below to send your claim to the City for consideration. 

The Municipal Act 2001 requires that the City receive claim notification in writing and in some situations, you are required to place the City on notice within 10 days of the incident. To ensure that your claim meets the notice requirement, in all circumstances please forward it to the City as soon as possible.

Claim File Process

Prior to submitting a claim to the City of Brockville, please consult your insurance company or broker to determine if you are covered for your specific type of damage, injury or loss. Depending on the situation, you may be eligible for greater compensation than you can legally recover from the City. If your insurer believes the City is liable your insurer will seek compensation from the City on your behalf.

Prepare your notice of claim in writing and ensure it contains the following information:

Pot Holes

When making a claim against the City for pothole damages it’s important to note that the City will not be responsible for your property damage if it has met the Provincial “Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways” (MMS). Ontario Regulation 239/02: Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways .

The MMS comprise a series of standards for various aspects of road maintenance (patrolling, salting, clearing snow and pothole repair) which vary, depending on the speed limit and traffic volume on a particular roadway in accordance with these standards:

The City identifies potholes through regular patrols.

Where to send your Notice of Claim

To submit your claim you can use one of the following methods:

Regular Mail:

The Corporation of the City of Brockville
1 King Street West, PO Box 5000
Brockville, ON
K6V 7A5
Attention: Clerk’s Office


The City will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the City committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. The City of Brockville only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage or injury sustained. 

Response Time

Upon receipt of your claim by the Clerk’s Office you will receive written acknowledgement which will include a claim number. Please retain this claim number as reference for future communication. 

The Clerk’s Office will initiate an investigation based on the information you provided. The claim may be referred to an independent insurance adjuster in order for the adjuster to conduct an investigation into the facts and circumstances of your incident and to determine whether the City is legally liable for your claim. 

Due to the uniqueness of each claim, the timeline concerning the final decision of a claim will vary.

If you have any questions regarding the claims process please send your inquiry to  Alternatively, you can contact the City of Clerk’s Office at 613-342-8772 ext. 4461.

The personal information collected to investigate your claim is collected under the  authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25 and will be disclosed to staff and service providers who require the information to investigate your claim against the City of Brockville.  Questions about the collection of this personal information should be directed to the Clerk’s Office.