Permits and Licences

Building Permits

A building permit is your formal permission to begin construction. It means that plans for any new structure, addition or renovation have been approved by the municipality, and that they comply with the Ontario Building Code, the local zoning by-law and any other applicable laws and regulations.

NEW: The City of Brockville now uses a cloud-based e-permitting software called Cloudpermit to process all Building Permit Applications. This system digitizes the building permit process and will eventually help us go completely paperless. The software streamlines the application process and makes it easier for the applicant to track the status of their permit, request an inspection, and more.

Click here to start applying through Cloudpermit.

The Building Code Act requires you to obtain a building permit if you are planning to:

  1. Construct any new building or structure on your property.
  2. Make material alterations, additions or repairs to a building.
  3. Excavate or construct a foundation.
  4. Install heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems, fireplace, wood stove
    or other wood burning appliances.
  5. Put up a temporary building, mobile home or prefab structure.
  6. Renovate or convert an existing building.

When considering any kind of construction on your property, it is a good idea to discuss your plans with the local building staff first. They can advise you about any other permits or approvals you might need, such as demolition permits, minor variances and electrical permits.

If you are not sure whether you need a permit or not, simply call your local building department and ask. Either you will get an answer over the telephone, or a building inspector may visit your site in order to advise you about what is required.

For further information, please contact:

Building & By-Law Services Division
(613) 342-8772  x 4463

Contact by Email

Excavation Permits

Before any construction or digging can commence, an Excavation Permit must be granted by the City of Brockville. You must apply for a locate and an Excavation Permit.  To apply for a locate, visit Ontario One Call (, click “Request a Locate,” and follow the instructions outlined on the Ontario One Call website. 

To apply for an excavation permit, fill out the Excavation Permit Application. Once the form is filled in, download it for your records, and send your completed application to  

The City will review the permit application, declare if it is approved or denied, and send either a granted permit or denied application to the client. A valid permit contains a City Signature and a valid permit number. 

Marriage Licences

Application Process During COVID

Due to COVID-19 protocols being in place, the City of Brockville has found it necessary to change the process of issuing a marriage license.

To obtain a marriage license applicants must:

  1. Complete a Marriage License Application which can be found at the following link:$File/11018E.pdf

The application must be electronically signed by both applicants by typing your name into the signature field.

  1. Submit the application with the required documents via email to You will be sent a confirmation email upon receipt.

If you do not have access to email, paper copies of the application and the required documents can be:

Please indicate your preferred method of communication, email or telephone.

  1. Your application and documents will be reviewed, and your license prepared. Staff will contact you directly via your preferred method of communication if there are any questions regarding your application.

To pick up your license:

  1. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment with the Customer Service Office to pick up your license via your preferred method of communication. You will be provided instructions regarding entry to City Hall when your appointment is scheduled.
  1. To limit in person contact, we ask that only one applicant attend the appointment and that person must wear a mask and practice social distancing measures in accordance with the Public Health Instructions for Enclosed Public Spaces.
  1. Please bring all original required documents for both applicants as submitted with your application. 

Applications will be processed within two working days from time of receipt. We ask for your patience during this time.

Identification Required for Both Persons

Both parties must have two pieces of proper identification* when applying for a marriage license. Both pieces of identification must include your birthdate, and at least one must include photo identification.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

All forms of identification must be in English or have a certified translation.

*Please note that Ontario Health Cards and Social Insurance Number (SIN) Cards are not acceptable forms of identification to apply for a marriage license.


No person under 16 years of age may be married. Anyone aged 16 or 17 wishing to apply for a marriage licence must have both parents or guardians fill out a consent form at the Clerks department at the time of application, with the exception of applicants who are widowed or divorced.

If a parent or guardian refuses to provide consent, application may be made to a judge for an order dispensing with consent. Contact the Clerks department for additional information.

Canadian Divorce

If either applicant's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original certified copy or a certified true copy of the Final Decree, the Final Judgement or a Certificate of Divorce must be submitted to the Issuer of Marriage Licences. A Divorce Order or Decree Nisi is not acceptable. Certified copies can be obtained from the court that granted the divorce. Photocopies will not be accepted.

Foreign Divorce

If either applicant's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled outside Canada, authorization from the Registrar General's Office is required before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit:

These documents must be submitted to:

The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ont.
P7B 6L8 

We recommend you appear in person at the Clerks department to request these forms and obtain additional information.

Widow or Widower

If either applicant is a widow or widower, they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage license.

Marriage Ceremony

Currently City Hall is not performing marriage ceremonies. Ceremonies may recommence in the fall.

It is important to ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally. To access lists of religious officials who are registered to perform marriages, check the ServiceOntario website or call 1-800-461-2156.

Contact Information

For more information, contact the City of Brockville or the Office of the Registrar General.

Clerk’s Office City of Brockville 
1 King Street West

Brockville, Ontario 

Office of the Registrar General 
P. O. Box 4600  
189 Red River Road  
Toll-free in Ontario: 1-800-461-2156  
Toronto and outside Ontario: 416-325-8305

Door to Door Sales and Licencing

Door to door application

Door to door sales by-law

Busking Licence

To obtain a licence to busk contact:

Deputy Clerk


Business Permits and Licencing

BizPaL is an innovative online service that provides entrepreneurs with simplified access to information about business permits, licences and other requirements needed to start, operate and grow their business from the federal, provincial/territorial and participating municipal governments.

Finding out which government requirements apply to a certain business type can be time consuming and frustrating. BizPaL was created to help identify what you may require, quickly and easily. The information you need is available from a single source; entrepreneurs spend less time dealing with red tape - saving effort and money in the process - and more time building their business.

The service is the result of strong collaboration between the federal, provincial/territorial and participating local governments, and was designed with the following benefits in mind:

Launch the BizPaL service

Click for more information for Business Permits and Licencing