Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process to amend the Official Plan?

If you propose using or developing your property in a way that does not comply with the existing Official Plan, you may have to apply for an amendment.

Before you apply for an amendment to the Official Plan, you are required to have a pre-consultation with the Planning Department to discuss your proposal with planning staff. The Planning Department can offer preliminary advice and information on how to proceed with a formal application.

The process for dealing with Official Plan amendments is the same as for an Official Plan. It may also involve review by committees or municipal staff, as well as public meetings and negotiations. If local council refuses your Application for Official Plan Amendment, you may appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board.

Access to an application for Amendment to the Official Plan from our Planning Applications and Forms page.

For assistance or more information, please contact the Planning Department: