Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a marriage license?

Application and Fee

Couples wishing to be married in Ontario must submit a marriage licence application form. This form must be:

submitted in person by the applicant and/or the joint applicant with identification to the Customer Service Office at Brockville City Hall (1 King Street West).

No appointment is required. Applications are accepted Monday to Friday between 8:15 am and 3:30 pm, excluding holidays.

A licence fee as per the current user fee by-law is payable at the time of application processing. Payment can be made by cash, credit or debit card. Cheques will not be accepted.

Identification Required for Both Persons:

Two (2) pieces of government issued identification from each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo,

Examples of government-issued identification:

 Photocopies will not be accepted.

Marriage licences are issued at the time of application, as long as all information is correct and appropriate identification has been provided. Licences are valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days.


No person under 16 years of age may be married. Anyone aged 16 or 17 wishing to apply for a marriage licence must have both parents or guardians fill out a consent form at the Clerks department at the time of application, with the exception of applicants who are widowed or divorced.

If a parent or guardian refuses to provide consent, application may be made to a judge for an order dispensing with consent. Contact the Clerks department for additional information.

Canadian Divorce

If either applicant's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original certified copy or a certified true copy of the Final Decree, the Final Judgement or a Certificate of Divorce must be submitted to the Issuer of Marriage Licences. A Divorce Order or Decree Nisi is not acceptable. Certified copies can be obtained from the court that granted the divorce. Photocopies will not be accepted.

Foreign Divorce

If either applicant's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled outside Canada, authorization from the Registrar General's Office is required before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit:

These documents must be submitted to:

The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ont.
P7B 6L8 

We recommend you appear in person at the Clerks department to request these forms and obtain additional information.

Widow or Widower

If either applicant is a widow or widower, they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage license.

Marriage Ceremony

BEFORE YOU GET MARRIED you need to check that the person performing your marriage ceremony is an authorized official.  It is important to ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally. The Government of Ontario's website provides information to help you start your new life together.  See this information here: Life Event Bundles - Getting Married 

Civil Wedding Ceremonies

The Municipality conducts Civil Ceremonies either at City Hall during office hours or at your chosen venue (within a 50 km radius) after hours.

Contact Information

A full description of the requirements regarding marriage applications at the City of Brockville can be found in our Downloads Section or email:

For more information, contact the City of Brockville or the Office of the Registrar General.

Clerk’s Office City of Brockville 
1 King Street West
Brockville, Ontario 

Office of the Registrar General 
P. O. Box 4600  
189 Red River Road  
Toll-free in Ontario: 1-800-461-2156  
Toronto and outside Ontario: 416-325-8305