Licencing (including marriage)

Marriage Licences

Effective April 20, 2021 the City of Brockville will be restricting the issuance of marriage licenses to residents of Leeds and Grenville only.

Due to COVID-19 protocols being in place, the City of Brockville has found it necessary to change the process of issuing a marriage license.

Application Process During COVID

To obtain a marriage license applicants must:

  1. Complete a Marriage License Application which can be found at the following link: 11018E Marriage License Application

The application must be electronically signed by both applicants by typing your name into the signature field.

  1. Submit  to copies of the following documents:

If you do not have access to email, paper copies of the application and the required documents can be:

Please indicate your preferred method of communication, email or telephone.

  1. Your application and documents will be reviewed, and your license prepared. Staff will contact you directly via your preferred method of communication if there are any questions regarding your application.

To pick up your license:

  1. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment with the Customer Service Office to pick up your license via your preferred method of communication. You will be provided instructions regarding entry to City Hall when your appointment is scheduled.
  1. To limit in person contact, we ask that only one applicant attend the appointment and that person must wear a mask and practice social distancing measures in accordance with the Public Health Instructions for Enclosed Public Spaces.
  1. Please bring all original required documents for both applicants as submitted with your application. 

Applications will be processed within two working days from time of receipt. We ask for your patience during this time.

Other Information

Identification Required for Both Persons:

Both parties must have two pieces of proper identification* when applying for a marriage license. Both pieces of identification must include your birthdate, and at least one must include photo identification.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

All forms of identification must be in English or have a certified translation.

*Please note that Ontario Health Cards and Social Insurance Number (SIN) Cards are not acceptable forms of identification to apply for a marriage license.


No person under 16 years of age may be married. Anyone aged 16 or 17 wishing to apply for a marriage licence must have both parents or guardians fill out a consent form at the Clerks department at the time of application, with the exception of applicants who are widowed or divorced.

If a parent or guardian refuses to provide consent, application may be made to a judge for an order dispensing with consent. Contact the Clerks department for additional information.

Canadian Divorce

If either applicant's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original certified copy or a certified true copy of the Final Decree, the Final Judgement or a Certificate of Divorce must be submitted to the Issuer of Marriage Licences. A Divorce Order or Decree Nisi is not acceptable. Certified copies can be obtained from the court that granted the divorce. Photocopies will not be accepted.

Foreign Divorce

If either applicant's previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled outside Canada, authorization from the Registrar General's Office is required before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit:

These documents must be submitted to:

The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ont.
P7B 6L8 

Widow or Widower

If either applicant is a widow or widower, they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage license.

Marriage Ceremony

Marriage ceremonies are currently not being offered at City Hall. 

It is important to ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally. To access lists of religious officials who are registered to perform marriages, check the ServiceOntario website or call 1-800-461-2156.

Contact Information

For more information, contact the City of Brockville or the Office of the Registrar General.

Clerk’s Office City of Brockville 
1 King Street West

Brockville, Ontario 

Office of the Registrar General 
P. O. Box 4600  
189 Red River Road  
Toll-free in Ontario: 1-800-461-2156  
Toronto and outside Ontario: 416-325-8305


Door to Door Sales

Door to door application

Door to door sales by-law


Busking in the City of Brockville

If you are a musician, singer, dancer, juggler, mime, magician, comedian, or other entertainer, there are locations in downtown Brockville that welcome and encourage you to showcase your talent!

The City of Brockville is now accepting applications for Busking in the City of Brockville. 

Entertainers are asked to attend a five minute audition and if successful, obtain an annual Busker Licence.  

To see application click here, for busking by-law click here.

Licenced buskers may entertain between May and October, 10 am to 10 pm.  There are eight designated busking locations in downtown Brockville.

To obtain a licence to busk contact:

Deputy Clerk


See also: