Council & Government
- Clerk’s Office
- Council and Committee Meetings
- Finance and Budget
- Mayor and Council
- Municipal Election
- Tenders and RFPs
- User Fees and Charges
Mayor and Council
It’s my pleasure to welcome you to the City of Brockville’s website. Brockville City Council and the dedicated City of Brockville staff are here to serve your needs and ensure you have access to the information you need.
Along with complete information about City services and programs, you can also virtually take part in all Council and Standing Committee meetings which are live streamed on the CivicWeb Portal and available after a meeting in recorded format.
If you are visiting Brockville or considering visiting in the future, we want to extend a very warm welcome. As the City of the 1000 Islands, we hope you will explore all the beauty of our natural surroundings and the many enjoyable events, festivals and activities there are to see and do.
Matt Wren – Mayor, City of Brockville
Council Roles and Responsibilities
The City of Brockville Council is the governing body of the municipal corporation and the custodian of its powers, both legislative and administrative. The Municipal Act provides that councils can only exercise the powers of the municipal corporation in the proper form, either by bylaw or resolution.
The councillors job is to work with other council members to set the overall direction of the municipality through their role as a policy maker. The policies that council sets are the guidelines for administration to follow as it does the job of running a municipality. A councillor will spend a lot of time while on council creating new policies and programs or reviewing the current ones to make sure they are working as they should.
Under the Municipal Government Act, councillors have the following duties:
- To consider the welfare and interests of the municipality as a whole and to bring to council’s attention anything that would promote the welfare or interests of the municipality.
- To participate generally in developing and evaluating the policies and programs of the municipality.
- To participate in council meetings and council committee meetings and meetings of other bodies to which they are appointed by the council.
- To obtain information about the operation or administration of the municipality from the chief administrative officer.
- To keep in confidence matters discussed in private at a council committee meeting until discussed at a meeting held in public.
- To perform any other duty or function imposed on councillors by this or any other enactment or by the council.
Brockville City Council from left, Mike Kalivas, Jeff Earle, Jane Fullarton, Mayor Matt Wren, Katherine Hobbs, Louise Severson, Nathalie Lavergne, Cameron Wales and Phil Deery.
Executive Assistant and Corporate Communications
613-342-8772 Ext: 4430